Monday, July 27, 2009

Hi To Everyone,

The entry below is pretty much the same one I made last week. I had deleted it, but many felt is was OK, and should stay. Sorry about the confusion, and we will add another update tomorrow after Glenda's first chemo treatment. She's scared, but very positive.

If any of you have comments, stories to relate, or suggestions, please feel free to exchange any type of info with us, and all other contributors by posting messages on this blog.

Although we are brand new at using this blog thing, it appears to work similarly to Facebook.

YOU SHOULD NOT HAVE TO JOIN ANYTHING JUST TO MAKE A COMMENT.

Let me know if you can't figure it out. (as a follow-on, I've added step by step instructions on how to make a comment, on a 7/29 post titled "three issues)

No way to do this, but come right out with it. We got some scary news about 3 weeks ago. Glenda has breast cancer, and will have her first chemo this Tuesday. Obviously a lot more details, but if you're comfortable with it, maybe just give her a call if you'd like. As you can imagine, however, repetitive story telling gets old, but a pledge of support, positive thoughts, and prayers would - I know - be appreciated.

- has yet to have shown up in a mammogram, but Glenda put her foot down and the combo of MRI/Sonagram finally identified it

- diagnosed as stage II as there is some amount of lymph node involvement under her right arm

- she will have a port inserted in early August to help with all subsequent treatments

- for the time being, she will continue her real estate business

Here's a brief recap as of this past Thursday:

- Saw Dr. Brooks, Medical Oncologist yesterday - we really liked him. Glenda will start chemo next Tuesday (6 treatments 90 minutes long every 3 weeks using drug combo called TAC - you can look this up on Google).

- Each treatment will be preceded by prescription of steroids to help fight infection.

- Glenda will lose her hair, but she's already gotten a great looking short wig, and she's looking into eyebrow tatoo info. No big deal, as it will save her time getting ready for work - which she is going to continue to do at least for the foreseeable future.

- apparently really good drugs nowadays to fight nausea

- After Chemo will be surgery. Not sure of extent of which yet.

- Possibility of radiation as well.

- She will be making SOME changes to diet and nutrition. There seems to be general disagreement about the value of this, but we intend to explore it. She's adding numerous vitamins and minerals (with Doctor agreement first I promise) and we are already taking steps to help with her immune system that really gets weakened with the chemo.

Goods news:

- a test called the "her2" test came back negative

- good tissue behind the actual growth (no apparent attachment to chest wall)

- positive hormone receptors (could hurt chemo effectiveness, but overall good)

- Dr. Brooks looked her in the eye, and said "I really think we can Beat this". I don’t THINK he was just trying to be inspirational, and I think for a doctor to say this is a positive sign.

- We are trying very hard to bring God and the church into our lives, (I don't know why there is constant Lightning & Thunder happening over our house) and it has already provided us much support and comfort.

If you are reading this blog entry, then trust me, we already know that you all are rooting for Glenda, are praying for her, and will do anything we need of you. Knowing this gives Glenda much comfort.

I will post more, when we know more I promise. We love you all. WE ARE GOING TO WIN THIS BATTLE. Take care.

Mike Hawkins
Home 520-749-2344
My cell 520-481-6556
Glenda cell 520-405-8448
Glenda email: relo@comcast.net


P.S. Obviously feel free to call at any time, but (making a gentle request here) please TRY to keep personal stories of friends and family members who have had cancer to a minimum as Glenda has said she has difficulty processing this kind of info. She realizes that everyone is trying to help/feels these stories might be a form of therapy for her, but Glenda's situation is personal, and "unique to her".

So please understand that having a plan that is now constructed, and that we can believe in (at least for now, and that we will follow to the letter) is very therapeutic. As a result, other "personalized" stories are a bit distracting - at least at this time. Thanks for understanding.

11 comments:

  1. "Don't be afraid, for I am with you.
    Don't be discouraged, for I am your God.
    I will strengthen you and help you.
    I will hold you up with my victorious
    right hand."

    Isaiah 41:10

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thinking of you ... sending good thoughts your way ... sending prayers for you and your family.

    Love,
    Dodie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey you two,

    After much problems with our internet connection here at the current RV park we are staying, got to my e-mail. Opened yours about Glenda and Wow. Susie and I are keeping you two especially CLOSE to our hearts. Brother o' mine, you just call if you need Anything, don't care what. If you need me there, I'm on the next flight. Glenda sweetie, I'm positive you'll come thru this superbly. I'm sure you guys have a lot of support, but more is always good. We love you both,

    Butch & Susie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Butch - appreciate the support. Will keep ya posted. Hugs to Susie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Glenda and MIke,

    Wow. That was a shock. I never expected to get this kind of new from you. I've just been through this with my daughter and my two neighbors so understand the repetitive story thing. Each person is different and you have to go with what you have to work with individually. All I can say is that I am personally acquainted with so many survivors (Barb Bergman-if you remember her) that I can't think any way but positive about this.

    I know it will not be easy but when you look back you'll think it wasn't that hard. (That's what I hear)

    Being a Realtor friend of yours I want you to know that I will do anything you need at NO CHARGE at any time. You just call and let me know.

    Being a friend, friend I want you to know that I will pray for you every day. There is no greater strength than what a Heavenly Father can give us. Let him be your beacon.

    Being me, let me say that you may be teeny tiny and very sweet but you are tough and strong. Go get um girl.

    Eileen Eagar
    247 7757 (the phone number so when you need me you will have it. Anytime)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I talked to Wende tonight and she told me what is going on and gave me the 411 on the blog. So glad you guys set this up and I will continue to tune in and stay updated, as well as pray for successful treatments and speedy recovery.

    I had to laugh when you made the request about not sharing personal stories!!! You already know mine, so I don't have to share it with you....you lived it too. I'm so sure that Dad would have posted something hilarious and slightly inappropriate on here and I bet it's really bothering him right now that he doesn't have access to the internet. Ha ha.

    I'm not going to give any advice, but I think you're on to something with the God thing.... :-) Inviting God into your lives is never a bad decision.

    Lots of love from the Hoffmans

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad to see that so many others are supportive of you seeking God. Remember He is strong when we are weak. Just lean on Him and let Him carry you through this. God is good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glennie, You are in good hands. As you said, Linda is a jewel! She is one of my clients and has helped many of my friends. Dr Brooks is great too. He was Joe's doc. I know you can beat this. My thoughts and prayers are with you. Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glenda , Alescia Kretschmer could not have said it better Isaiah 41:10 Candace and I have our prayers now asking for Gods Healing Hand, God Bless you and keep us informed. MIke thank you for the link to this info. MAY GOD BLESS YOU BOTH

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glenda and Mike I am inspired by both of your strength. It has been though the hardest times of my life that I have learned and become a better person I know you will find your reason and use this experience to learn what God has planned for the rest of your life. You are in my prayers. Sorry I missed the hat party would like to stop by and visit when you are up to it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glenda, so glad to hear from you again! You and Mike are so positive. If only my patients and families had such attitudes! It sounds like you have a huge circle of friends and family.We just finished our oncology certification last week at my hospital. What great ideas with the hat party and the tree. Glad you are feeling better. In my prayer, Marsha from Michigan

    ReplyDelete