Saturday, October 17, 2009

Finally, I Made a New Post

Sorry if the length of time between updates has made some of you wonder about how things are going…...but in this case “No News really IS good News”!!

October is “Breast Cancer Awareness Month”……182,000 women will be diagnosed with breast cancer this year!

One question I’ve never asked myself is “WHY ME” – but rather “Why Not Me?”

When I read the book, BREAST CANCER - Is it What You’re Eating or What’s Eating You?, by Susan Silberstein, PhD, the excerpt below reiterated my thoughts precisely:

“There are probably many reasons why breast cancer has risen dramatically in the United States since the early 1970’s. One of them likely involves the fact that it is also since the 1970’s that millions of women have faced the additional stress of working full time. With myriad new pressures, such as trying to please a demanding boss, going back to school, birthing and raising children, being a good spouse, keeping a home, and caring for aging parents, these women not only have too much on their proverbial plate – they just have too many plates! When and how do these women have time to take care of themselves? It is as if the breast cancer comes along to literally get their attention: “Please notice me and my needs!” WOW, was this ME or what!! Even before I read this, I said this very same thing to myself! This is likely the ONLY way I would have ever slowed down…..anyone reading this having a “light bulb” moment???

Back in August my beloved Aunt Margie was diagnosed with cancer. We talked about her upcoming treatments and some of the reactions I had already experienced. She often told me that "we would get through this together". She was one of my biggest supporters on my journey and she had her entire church praying for me. On August 4th, she started on her own journey, but sadly, 5 days after her first chemo, she passed away on September 1st. I still hear her gentle voice of encouragement and faith. I am so blessed to have had a close relationship with her and I miss her every day.

October 18, 2009: Today was the 6th annual "Take A Hike" and benefit brunch for the non-profit organization, "BAG IT!" My daughter, Lori and my grandson, Logan went on the nature hike and I met them for the brunch. The guest speaker was David Fitzsimmons, Cartoonist for the Arizona Daily Star.

This organization is committed to providing information and education to newly diagnosed individuals with cancer and their families. The information contained in this site and in their bag is designed to help patients cope with their diagnosis, and empower them to become an active member of the treatment team. The helplessness of being a "victim" begins to diminish with this type of support.

Their slogan is: "Fight the Fear". For more information about BAG IT or to donate go to: www.bagit4u.org

Now a brief update since I last posted to the blog.

September 8th -- treatment #3 – at the ½ way point the tumor has shrunk by 50%. Does this mean that it will be near zero when my chemo is complete?? Dr. Brooks seems to be really pleased – as you might remember we weren’t even sure that the chemo would work at all.

September 29th -- treatment #4 – two thirds 2/3 finished with the chemo. I may be getting used to the side affects and reactions, because the worst affect from treatments 2, 3, and 4 has been the anemia. This is likely to continue until I complete the chemo and the “poison” is out of my system. Since it is not an iron deficiency, taking iron tablets, eating liver or green leafy vegetables won’t help. The shortage of oxygen in my blood causes my heart to race (sometimes my heart rate is as high as 128), which is followed by my lungs work harder and I get short of breath. When my legs feel like rubber, I just need to sit or lay down until everything calms down!

1.) Took the dry clothes out of the dryer, draping them over the laundry basket so they wouldn’t wrinkle.

2.) Laid down for ½ hr.

3.) Carried the basket back to the bedroom.

4.) Laid down another ½ hr.

5.) Sat in the chair & folded.

6.) Took another ½ hr to rest.

7.) Put 1/2 of the clothes away.

8.) Sat down for a few minutes.

9.) Finished putting the rest away.

It only took 2 hrs for what is normally a 10 minute task, but I was determined to get it done in the same day.

The debilitating migraines - that I experienced after chemo #1 - have tried to re-appear for a couple of days after each treatment, but I have been able to keep them under control with the Imitrex. THANK GOODNESS!!!!

Labor Day – we spent the weekend at the cabin….here I am wearing my “coonskin” cap given to me by Don and Bette Day. They had picked up on an earlier comment I made while trying on wigs: "I feel like Daniel Boone". They apparently thought that I should have one of my very own. The hat was actually quite toasty since the daytime highs on Mt Lemmon were only in the low 60’s. Being able to spend time at the cabin - even if it's just going up for the afternoon to sit on the front porch to read and look at the view (see below) - has proven to be really very peaceful and “therapeutic”.









October 20th: The date for treatment #5 – I’m expecting the normal 6-7 “down” days as usual, but hope it’s no worse that the last 4……we’ll see. I’ve had about 12 days this cycle that were pretty good.

Some Miscellaneous Observations:

Through the first three treatments, (about 7-8 days after each treatment) my white blood counts always dropped to very low levels around 1100 to 1700. (Normal is somewhere between 10 and 15000).

One week after treatment number 4, however, ALL of my measured blood counts (white & red) were at historical low points. Fortunately by day 10, these counts had come back up considerably (although the red blood cell counts had actually dipped a little lower) and my oncologist, Dr. Brooks said that I "was out of the woods".

Unexpected good news - my hair has never fallen out COMPLETELY. Personally, I think what I’ve been left with makes me look like a cross between a Marine recruit, and a chimpanzee. My hilarious husband says “No, chimps have more hair”. While my kind, caring granddaughter Teryn, tells me I have the head of a newborn baby, with just a few “thin or bald spots” where the hair has rubbed off.


Fortunately, (and surprisingly) I still have my eyebrows and eyelashes. Though they seem a bit thinner than normal, they have at least won out over the chemo! I'll never complain again that my long eyelashes rub on the inside of my glasses. Back in high school I actually used to trim them with nail clippers. I know, I know -- what a curse!

This chemo part of this process will at last be coming to an end with my last (#6) treatment scheduled for Nov.10th. I am sooooo ready for this part to be over! I don't know where the summer has gone.
Next, there will then be approximately 3-4 weeks before surgery (which is tentively planned for the first part of December). Following the surgery will be the 6-weeks of radiation, which will likely start sometime in January.
That's it for now. I will try to keep the blog a little more active in the future, but please don't be concerned if you don't hear anything on a regular basis. All is well, and even under the circumstances I feel like a very fortunate lady.

As always, I am reminded daily how fortunate I am to have such an incredible support group!

15 comments:

  1. See. I knew you could do it. The best part is that you're so upbeat and positive about it. Keep on keeping on and before you know it, all of this will be behind you!

    Hugz from The Cuz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laundry?

    It's too bad about that directive from Southwest prohibiting pilots from being exposed to the scent of fabric softener within 72 hours of a flight. Try this...

    HotCollegeGuysHelpAroundTheHouse.com

    Love ya.

    (You too Mikey. Just kidding. I know you'd jump through hoops of fire if it would help. Well, maybe hobble gingerly over a can of Sterno...)

    ;)

    Jeffie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Glenda,
    It was fun reading your blog even though I have been keeping up with you every few days. It was fun to hear about the bag it lunch, sounded like fun. Also I am glad you got some good info from the little book I gave you from Dr. Silberstein.
    You really are doing great one day at a time.
    Just keep on believing God for a total healing.
    Love & Hugs, & blessings,
    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glennie, you still get your laundry done faster than I do!
    Thanks for the update. You're daily in our prayers.

    Love ya, Girlfriend!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an inspiration! Thank you for sharing your journey. Look forward to celebrating your soon to be victory. Love ya, Diane V

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Glenda,
    Great post. I am impressed you took the time to do this. I continue to marvel at your positive outlook. You are indeed appreciating the little things that we all tend to take for granted, such as the trips to Mt Lemmon. Take care.
    Denise
    PS Don't worry - laudry will always be there!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow...I didn't know you were suppose to do laundry any other way ... You must know that you are the greatest to keep us all 'posted'. I wish Kathy, my daughter, had been able to post her expereince to share. She will celebrate her 7th year in December. She is so heathy and strong and so very busy building her new house that she had to stop and think just how long ago it had been. Thanks for the up dates. They are heart warming and make me smile. I'm looking forward to seeing you soon! Becky T

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! Seems you are doing really well, Glenda. Thanks for the update and all the encouraging news.

    RE: Stress among women with full plates.
    We all (men and women) have lots going on in our lives and much to accomplish. You bring up a great point. In my experience, the only place I've found the hope and peace necessary to deal with all that is through my faith in Jesus Christ. Keep the faith.

    RE: Heart racing @ 128.
    FYI - While training for the Bisbee 1,000 my avg HR while working out has been 140ish with my max HR @ 165. In the race Saturday, I noticed my HR jump to 172 after the first of nine sets of stairs. It scared the "H" out of me since I had never recorded my rate above 165 while training. Final numbers: Avg HR 170 for 59 Min 27 Sec - Max HR 180.

    I know you've not trained for stair climbing. However, I bet if you check with your Doc you'll find 128 is high but your heart can handle it. Your heart is probably just adjusting to your bodily needs while it's being worked over by the stress and drugs etc.

    Additionally, when you have your strength back it will be time to find you some stairs and get in shape because you'll need to be ready when we climb the Bisbee 1000 together next October. OK? Gloria and Mike can cheer us on from the sidelines.

    Keep up the great fight, Glenda! Well done. As expected. Regards,
    Thomas Weddingfeld

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, Glenda, I'm breathless after reading your latest blog. You are an amazing inspiration to all of us. I will be proud to be part of the standing ovation when you reach your victorious and complete recovery.

    Love and continued prayers,
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  10. hi Glenda--you hang in there -- you are great & I'll see you at the party 11-7 luv ya joyce

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hope this finds you well! I miss you and will see you soon. BTW, I realy love the hat, it is so you:) Carol

    ReplyDelete
  12. We will be thinking of you tomorrow and sending our positive energy your way for a quick recovery. Lots of love, D & W

    ReplyDelete
  13. My Sweet & Precious Glenda~
    I have had YOU in my Mind and Prayers all day today~
    " May The LORD bless and protect you;may the LORD's face radiate with joy because of you; may he be gracious to you, show you his favor, and give you his peace."
    NUMBERS 6:24-26 (The Living Bible)
    With All My Love,
    Camille Rivas Rutherford

    ReplyDelete
  14. Glenda,I wish you a speedy recovery. We got to get to NO soon. Sounds like your plans may change to later in the spring. In my prayer Marsha

    ReplyDelete
  15. Glenda:

    I'm 4 yrs out since my chemo. Reading your blog reminded me of how lucky we are to be able to enjoy every day. If it ever works into your schedule, I'd love to have you join me at Beat Cancer Boot Camp luncheon (3rd Friday of the month). Great women in all different stages of treatment or recovery. Very positive upbeat group. Marilyn Croghan joins in once in a while. I wish you an easy journey and great health in 2010 and forever more. Mary L. Cooper

    ReplyDelete