Monday, August 24, 2009

The "Hat Party" and Chemo #2

PREFACE:

I want to begin this post with an expression of my heartfelt gratitude to my "army of supporters". For the last three weeks, I have been overwhelmed by all the prayers, touching emails, books, cards, journals, caring phone messages, baskets of goodies, fruit arrangements and oh yes, the chocolates!

Sorry it's been so long between posts. At first, because there really was no new information to share; then later (after the second chemo), because I was just too wiped out to even sit at the computer. I’ve become very attached to my ice packs and massage chair.

Also you'll notice a very SMALL slideshow of Hat Party Pics over to the upper right side of the blog. Mike has figured out how to make it work, but says the formatting limitations of this blog won't allow the pictures to be made bigger. He claims, however, that if you think you see a pic that you recognize, and would like to see it bigger, that you can "single click" on the picture and a new page SHOULD open showing your selection (and all of the pics in the slideshow) in a larger, and easier to see presentation. Please try it, and let us know if it doesn't work - Mike is still experimenting. By the way, the pics of me show me with one of my new wigs. I don't think it looks too bad - I may just stay with the Sinead O'Connor look.

Hair Today, Gone Tomorrow

I was warned that within 2-3 weeks of my first chemo treatment, my hair would get brittle and start to fall out. On day 15 (8/12), my scalp started to feel tender & tingle. My hair was still shiny and looked healthy, but I knew it was about to happen. By 8/14 (my daughter Lisa’s birthday) I decided it was TIME……I gently brushed about 4 inch sections straight out & held them away from my head as Mike took the scissors & cut it about ½ from my scalp. Many of you won’t be surprised that I methodically placed each section of hair on a strip of packing tape to possibly later use inside of a hat as bangs or a ponytail. So, I still have MY hair – it’s just in a new location! We then went into the garage & Mike just buzzed it…..surprisingly, it was very liberating…..it had dawned on me when I was dealing with the migraines that we are meant to lose our hair because it’s the LAST thing we want to deal with when we feel like crap! I can now be ready to leave the house in about ½ hour!

Day by Day

Saturday, 8/15: I had my first "Healing Touch" energy treatment. It was very relaxing and intended to move the body’s energy in a positive way. I have a second session schedule later this week.

Sunday, 8/16: My dear friend of 24 years, Cindy Kelley (with the help of her daughter, Nicole) hosted a fabulous "Mad Hatter" Tea Party ( Alice in Wonderland). About 40-45 guests enjoyed the various flavors of tea, tea sandwiches, fruit trays, & muffins.

Mike’s cousin, Cindy who lives in Connecticut, surprised us with a 2-tier cake in the shape of a hat – complete with pink hat band and peacock feathers. My good friend, Marje provided the scones from the Chantilly Tea House. Lisa had name tags appropriately made from a deck of cards for each guest. Cindy had asked everyone to bring an inspirational quote or verse - to write on pink tags - made by a friend of Nicole’s (who I don’t even know). These all now hang from my living room "inspiration" tree. It truly IS an inspiration and I have already read them over and over.

We spent about an hour with me trying on the assortment of fun hats and scarves that everyone brought. Some were silly, others were frilly, in the mix was a "Cat in the Hat" hat, and of course, the "Mad Hatter" hat – not to mention a coonskin cap – complete with tail (because of a Daniel Boone comment I had made weeks ago while trying on wigs). It was a lot of fun…..and I’ve heard that Cindy’s idea is growing into similar parties for others around town! Cindy, you may have a new calling.

By the way, (free marketing plug to follow) Cindy has been writing screenplays with Michael Landon, Jr. for the past 10-12 years and has just finished her 3rd novel, The Silent Gift that will be published in October. (Had to plug your book!)

Monday 8/17: I opened my garage door to take my heaping trash can down to the street. Before the door had fully opened, two of my neighbors were standing outside the door ready to take it down for me! Thanks Dick & Katie, you’re awesome neighbors!

Tuesday, 8/18: Chemo treatment #2: I felt the best I’d felt since the last treatment (almost normal). Claire drove me and stayed until Ronnie came to pick me up and drive me home. My white blood count was high, (this is good) I was hydrated and ready for the "starch" (Mike got a kick out of me using this "Northeastern" type reference) to be knocked out of me! I had started taking Imitrex (for the migraines) the night before and continued throughout the day. Thankfully, it did the trick and no migraines this time!!

Wednesday, 8/19: It was also a good day……I actually showed a house in Pima Canyon , wrote and presented an offer. However, we were competing with 6 other offers so we didn’t get the house. :0(

About 3pm, I had to go back to the oncologist for my (day after) white blood shot. This shot is intended to help regenerate bone marrow damaged by the chemo, and almost immediately started causing all of my bones/joints to ache and have sudden sharp pains. We ran a few errands and didn’t get home until about 5:30pm. I was exhausted!

Thursday, 8/20: There was a wonderful balloon bouquet attached to a care package left in my driveway. The card was from "one of my support team", but I don’t know who???? I realized I probably overdid it yesterday, because all I could do was sleep.

Friday, 8/21: My dad’s 82nd birthday…. We’ll have to celebrate later – I’m still sleeping about 20 out of 24 hours -- but no nausea or migraines.

Saturday, 8/22: Mike leaves for work, and I feel a LITTLE better, (no, not just because Mike left for work, Ha Ha) but still feel like I have weights tied to my legs and arms. Boy, is my body saying, "not so fast"….it is clear that I’m no longer in charge. The tough part for me – I want to do things that I normally do, but have no energy or strength.

Sunday, 8/23: I started to "turn the corner" today. I’ve napped a little, but haven’t spent all day in bed. This is definately NOT for sissies!! It will be the most difficult thing I’ve ever done in my life! My kittens think I’m just here spending extra time with them. They have been a great source of comfort & joy.

As I remind myself everyday - With the awesome support of all of YOU, I will beat this!

10 comments:

  1. Sure wish I could have been there ... you KNOW I would have given you a crocheted hat with balls on it! No, not THOSE kinds! Send the stuff as I'm anxious to get started on your book. Stay positive!
    Hugz from the Cuz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glenda -- you crack me up. In the middle of a heartfelt, touching, courageous blog about YOU -- you do a "commercial" for me! That's so typical of you - and why everybody loves you! You're always thinking about everyone else! By the way -- you look fabulous in hats!
    Love, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi cuz..i can't get over how GOOD you look! just want you to know you're in my thoughts daily AND my prayers! it's awesome to see how many friends & supporters you have! not to mention family! you're such a strong person... always there for EVERYONE... & now with everyone there for you, yes, you WILL beat this!

    miss you & love you!!
    cuz Teri

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Glenda,
    I'm thinking about you, and praying for you. Keep positive, you are one of the toughest cookies I know!!

    love,
    maria

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glenda: The Mad Hatter Tea was incredible! There was so much love and laughter- support and fun! You are amazing also--strong, realistic attitude-a Real Winner! And you will beat this--I agree with Cindy--Cancer picked the wrong person when it picked on our pitbull! Love you and Mike--Here for you--Praying and thinking about you everyday! Love, Wende

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great pictures from the party!!! Glenda - you look fabulous! My favorite hat is the big pink one with pink and green flowers. :-) Glad to see all of your friends supporting you in this way. What a blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Keep up the great work, Glenda. That "liberating" feeling of buzzed hair is great isn't it? I found out when I buzzed mine for Conner when he had his brain surgery last year. I bet you look fabulous either way. Need any help with ANYTHING? Just call. Thomas
    444-4545

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Glenda it is Wendy Jefferson. Although we have had our differences in the past, this day forward is our future!!! My heart is aching for the pain and suffering you and your family are experiencing. However, this is a beautiful journey you are traveling through and you are a fighter and God will give you the strength and courage to beat this! Be present for every moment..cry without fear, laugh with joy and scream in anger! You are in my thoughts and prayers and if I can be of any help please let me know!!
    Email;wendy3peters@comcast.net
    Phone;541-520-9671

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Glenda - hope you remember me from CB. It was with a heavy heart that I found and started reading your blog. Sounds like you're doing well with so many friends and family supporting you and with your great attitude I know you will win this battle! I'm here for you if you ever need anything. You're in my prayers and healing thoughts. Susan Wasley email: gsw10@cox.net, home phone: 325-2786

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glenda:
    Thank you for updating your Blog! I have been worried that this has been tougher than you were letting on and not telling anyone! I know it is tough--but I also know what a spirited, determined, focused woman you are! You are winning this battle and the War!! We are all behind you and loving you! Keep up the good work! Love, Wende

    ReplyDelete